Monday, December 31, 2012

Social Anxiety Catch 22

Romans 8:35: "Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will hardship, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or sword?

Do you ever have that moment of social anxiety where you've said the wrong thing or let your insecurity slip out?  But then you can't take it back without making a bigger deal and drawing more attention to it?  Your insecurity is pleading for reassurance.  But it only makes you feel more unattractive to reveal this need?

I hate those spin cycles.

Me: "Did I say the right thing?  I think I just hurt his/her feelings / sounded uncool / revealed too much vulnerability."
Anxious me: "You'd better double check to make sure they still like you."
Reasonable me: "I'm sure everything is fine. Just chill out."
Anxious me: "THIS IS HORRIBLE!"
Me: "I'll find a way to be cool / nice / say the right thing again.  It'll be ok, Anxious Me."
Anxious me: "AAAAGH!"
Reasonable me: "Could I at least get a cupcake?"

And so it goes.  It doesn't happen all time, but I'm guessing I'm not alone in negative or insecure self talk.

So tonight I just have a simple reminder to myself - and to all of us.

You are loved.  You are wanted.  You are needed.  You are enough.

The answer to the question in Romans 8:35 above is no one and no way.  No one and nothing can separate us from God's love.  Period.

God of love, We can sometimes feel unworthy of love, from our friends or from you.  Please remind us that we are loved and wanted just as we are - bumps and scars and faults and all.  Nothing we can do will make you stop loving us.  Thank you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment