Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Where Jesus Is

Defeat of DOMA Rally
Photo credit: PQ Monthly
Amos 5:24 "But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.."
Today we celebrated the end of the Defense of Marriage Act and the return of marriage equality to California. Woohoo!

It is awesome news, though there is still much to be done. Here in Oregon, we are gearing up for the ballot initiative to bring the freedom to marry to all Oregonians in November; 2014. For my part, I will be volunteering with faith communities to discuss why this is important.

Why does the freedom to marry matter to me?

It may go without saying that I am committed to work for the freedom to marry for all because it impacts my friends in very real way. My friends mean the world to me and I will advocate for them and not back down. But I also put energy, money, time into this effort because this is where Jesus is.

Let me explain where I'm coming from...

My graduate thesis in theology looked at Jesus in the gospel of Luke to try to understand who God is. At the time, in 2009, I was dealing with grief from a variety of losses, including the death of my niece, as well as a crisis of faith. I phrased the question as "Is God trustworthy?" and after research and contemplation (and time), my answer was "Yes."

My conclusion? God is wildly in love with humanity. God is always reaching out and drawing us into relationship with God and with one another. The bible is full of stories of love, hospitality, healing, and the restoration of community. This is how I want to live my life as well.

My understanding of who God is grounds my belief that the work for marriage equality is biblical work. It is a faithful response to God's love and grace. The freedom to marry is about healing and community. It supports love, commitment, family, and fairness. (I'm sure I'll be saying more about this as we get closer to November, 2014.)

With the prophet Amos, I long for an end to inequity and injustice. I join this prayer, and the prayers of many who yearn for marriage equality: "But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream."

Will you join me in this work?

God of love, thank you for the actions by the Supreme Court today. Give strength to those who deal with bullying, exclusion, harassment, violence, and discrimination  Bring reconciliation to those who have been torn apart by differences of opinion. Bring restoration to families who have suffered due to unjust laws. Bring justice and peace to all the world, so that all of us may live as equals.  Thanks, and amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment