Monday, June 13, 2016

Thank You Oregon Lutherans!

Rainbow Cross by Adam Page
I'm not sure if this is the right time to post this or not, but here it is.

On June 1st, I started a quarter time position with the Lutheran church to do advocacy for and ministry with the LGBTQIA community.

In the midst of our sorrow and anger, and so much frustration over the silence or bigotry we in the LGBTQIA community often experience from some church people, I wanted to share this small bit of good news.

In this ministry by the Oregon Synod of the Lutheran church (ELCA), I'll be doing some of what I already do now, but with more local focus and support. It is a quarter time position, and I'm on track to be ordained as a pastor after I complete my training. I'm also still working full time in my tech job.

So what will I be doing?

  • Exploring the idea of creating a new worshiping community based on inclusion, diversity, justice, and healing,  We will start having one-to-one conversations and small group gatherings to explore the idea of what faith and community mean to us.
  • Helping Lutheran churches in Oregon become Reconciling In Christ, which means to be explicitly and publicly welcoming towards people of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
  • Helping Lutheran churches that have already voted to become Reconciling in Christ live out that welcome in real, tangible ways.
  • Connecting with and building up the community of leaders to share in this work.  
I am thrilled that the Lutheran church is putting resources into making a real difference in the lives of the LGBTQIA community, especially when our hearts are aching and our faces are wet with tears.  

Have questions, want to be involved, or just chat?  I'd love to hear from you.
For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:38-39

No comments:

Post a Comment