Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Beautiful Wheels

Isaiah 52:7a: "How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of the messenger who announces peace, who brings good news..."

Ride4CAP 2012
Tonight I went to spin class for the first time in a couple of months.  It was definitely hard - and harder still because I haven't been pedaling for a while.  But it was worth it. I left the class in such a good mood!  Cycling is definitely one of my best anti-depressants, and showing up at class with the regulars and my favorite teacher helped.

Thinking about my blog post for tonight while spinning, the verse above from Isaiah popped into my mind.  I recently signed up to ride from Seattle to Portland (STP) and raise funds for Cascade AIDS Project (CAP) for my second time.  I do this for many reasons.  As I mentioned, cycling is my anti-depressant, and it also helps me stay in shape. And I've definitely written poetry about my bike and the love I have riding it.  But that's not what gets me to sign up for this ride, to train for the event and to ask my friends and family for donations to CAP.

Ride4CAP is my opportunity to put my faith in action, to preach, without words, the gospel of love and hospitality to all.  It helps me to have meaning in life knowing I am making a difference in the lives of others.  There are many ways to help, and this is certainly an awesome organization and cause to which I am committed. Tonight, I paraphrase the verse from Isaiah:
"How beautiful upon the roads from Seattle to Portland are the wheels of the cyclists who announce love and acceptance for all, who fight to eliminate stigma, who bring the good news of donations that provide essential services for those affected by HIV, who won't stop riding until the end of AIDS."
There's still time (not much, though) to join our team - to be a part of something bigger than yourself and make a difference.  And there is time until July 13th to donate to our goal.

God of healing, Thank you for the opportunities you give us to help others in the world.  Please help each of us to find our own unique way to share the good news of love and peace with those in need.  Please bless the work of Cascade AIDS Project and all those seeking to fight stigma and end AIDS.  Please bring healing and hope to those affected by HIV/AIDS, and remind them that they are not alone.  Thanks. and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment